the random ramblings, musings, & ponderings of a jesus freak

Sunday, November 25, 2007

proud to be a treehugger

Today I took a walk with God.

I started out my day as I would any other Saturday, but then God took me by the hand and led me so graciously, lovingly, and tenderly along a beautiful detour.

The weather was so absolutely gorgeous today that I felt compelled to spontaneously set aside my plans for the day and just enjoy some time alone with God. With my iPod plugged into my ears and a book in my hand, I parked my car and just started walking. I didn't have a destination in mind really. I kind of let the music guide me. It was sort of like those guys back in the day who searched for water with a Y-shaped stick or Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride who let his sword guide him. Maybe watching August Rush twice in one week has had an effect on me. All I know is that I let the music set my pace and when Beyonce said "to the left, to the left"...I literally turned down a side street to the left.

As I walked down sidewalks and cobblestone streets, my eyes wandered over landscapes and architecture. Even without my camera in hand, I see the world in photographs sometimes. A stone church steeple rising into the air in contrast against a brilliant blue sky. Brightly colored flowers in full bloom. Palm trees towering high overhead. Children giggling. A couple walking hand in hand. A dog sleeping contently at his master's feet. I see God's beauty everywhere.

For awhile I laid down on a park bench and read from my book. I could have fallen asleep there if it weren't for the fact that park benches make lousy pillows. But as I lay there looking up beyond the white gazebo towards the trees, I felt like I was looking at a deserted movie set. Several deflated balloons dangled from a branch high overhead, remnants of a picture perfect party some days past. Now the party was over and I was the only one left. It was bizarre how quiet and still the world seemed as I stretched across that bench. I read from my book there in the quiet stillness. I read about God's power and I felt something stir in my soul as the truth resonated there.

Eventually the music guided me to a park. After that, it took me to a lake. It was there that I spotted the tree. The perfect climbing tree. Seriously.

I climbed up into the tree and got settled. Perched high above the ground, I felt at home. Looking out over the lake, I watched the snake birds dive for their lunch and then air out their wings at the water's edge. I watched the ducks paddle their way from one bank to another in perfect synchronized formation. I laughed at the squirrels chasing one another in dizzying circles around the branches high above my head. I watched the Spanish moss swaying in the breeze and listened to the distant whistle of a passing train. The Russian Easter Overture began to play from my iPod and I swear nature danced to the music. For fifteen minutes (yes, it's that long of a song), the tall grasses bowed and the breeze shifted as the music swelled. Maybe August Rush has gotten to my head. I don't care. It was beautiful.

I alternated between looking up at the clouds in true daydreamer's fashion and reading Godly words of wisdom from my book. I let God speak to me without distraction. I was still. And it struck me. "Be still and know that I am God" the Psalmist writes. That's one of my favorite Psalms and yet I'm rarely still. I am always on the go, always running from one scheduled commitment to the next, meeting this friend for coffee or helping that friend with a project. I spend my time wisely for the most part and much of it is spent serving God, but most of it is simply spent. Not set aside. I am rarely just still for the purpose of being still and listening to God's voice.

But there, above the ground...in a tree...I was just still. I forgot for a little while about all of the tasks I needed to accomplish. I let go of the worries that are weighing me down. I set aside the pain and the fear and the doubt that accompany this life. I just enjoyed time with Jesus. I listened as He whispered to me through the beauty of my surroundings. I let Him romance my heart and I think my soul even did a little dance as my iPod played on.

Why is it that I find it so difficult to make time for God in that way? Why can't I slow down more often and just find rest and peace in the arms of my Savior? Why am I always so ridiculously busy? I bought two rocking chairs for my front porch, but I'm never at home to sit in them and relax with a friend over a lazy conversation. I bought a TV for my bedroom so that I would relax in bed during a movie, but I've only succeeded in making time to watch one movie in the last three months. Why is it that I have to climb a tree in order to sit still long enough for God to speak to my soul without having to shout above the distractions I surround myself with daily? And if it takes climbing a tree to achieve such stillness, then why do I not long to climb a tree every single day of my life?

God, I want to wake up tomorrow and long to climb a tree with you.

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

No comments: